Thursday, January 12, 2023

Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan (Review)

Content warning (Death of a Parental Figure) 


My grandmother died while I was playing through the game and that may have influenced my not liking some things in Rainbow Billy that I might have otherwise liked if I wasn't going through what I was going through at the time

Rainbow Billy is a turn based RPG where you and friends you make along the journey try to befriend different creatures around the world in an attempt to turn the world back to color after Leviathan thrust it into black and white.

You move around the game trying to figure out what each creature is weak to by listening to them and talking through things they bring up. At the same time you are playing friends from a deck trying to discover through trial and error what symbols the creature you are trying to befriend is weak to. It's a great system with a glaring problem: the deck of friends does not have a limit which means you can't structure it for a specific situation and some battles ended up with me discarding my hand three or four times in a row just get the last symbol I needed to finish the battle. 

It has great moments throughout as you peel back parts of an overarching story which I won't give any away but I feel like it's important to say that the trigger warning should apply to not only this review. Those moments are spread out well but are obscured by the sheer amount of dialogue from all of the friends each having small storyline of their own. I could see two paths to fix this either cut down the amount of creatures you befriend or have less dialogue all together. 

With all that being said, if this is your cup of tea or you can look past the cons I've pointed out, you owe to yourself to play Rainbow Billy.


90 out of 100

No comments:

Post a Comment